In the last decade infrastructure development has undergone a quiet revolution with the aim of bringing major projects in on time and on budget. This revolution is called alliance contracting. Alliance contracting can be defined as a coalition of two or more organisations to achieve mutual and strategically significant goals and objectives.
Collaboration and teamwork is the key to enabling all the alliance parties to work together to produce savings that can be shared. The process is extremely powerful because there is a careful alignment between the commercial incentive and the psychology of collaboration.
Dr Iain McCormick has been the Alliance Coach to:
- The MHX Kirkbride Alliance
- The Auckland Harbour Bridge Alliance
- The Transpower 400kv Grid Upgrade project
- The Auckland Motorway Maintenance Alliance
- The Auckland City Council Western Roading Alliance
- The Newmarket Viaduct Renewal Alliance
- The NZ Army Project Alexander collaborative procurement project
- The Victoria Park Tunnel Alliance
- The Community Care Alliance
- The Before School Check Alliance
- The GAIHN Alliance
- The Auckland After Hours Alliance
- The Franklin Locality Clinical Partnership
- Te Tihi o Ruahine Whānau Ora Alliance
- The Mount Messenger Alliance
- The Three Waters Alliance (Northland)
- The Safe Roads Alliance
- The CityEdge Alliance
- The planning urban land use and transport planning collaboration between Auckland Transport, NZTA and Auckland Council
- The Supporting Growth Alliance
- The AC36 Americas Cup Alliance
- The Ora Konnect Alliance
- The Defence Force Estates
- The City Rail Link C7 Alliance
The alliance coach is a seasoned professional who can both assess potential alliance participants and also be involved in alliance team development and maintenance.
ALLIANCE COACHING ROLES
The alliance coach can play a range of roles including:
1. Client and contractor education
2. Alliance non-cost selection
3. Alliance management team selection
4. Alliance leadership team start up and development
5. Alliance management team start up and development
6. Alliance manager coaching
7. Alliance culture development
8. Team health checks.
1. CLIENT AND CONTRACTOR EDUCATION
This involves providing clients and contractors with training sessions so they can understand the range of alternative procurement agreements and the advantages and disadvantages of each.
2. ALLIANCE NON-COST SELECTION
The following alliance assessments can be provided:
- Training for raters in the client organisation to maximise reliability in partner selection processes
- Simulations designed to replicate real life challenges that the alliance team would face
- Rating scales for simulation scoring
- Rating scales for presentations
- Independent assessments of alliance potential among contractors and consultants.
3. ALLIANCE MANAGEMENT TEAM SELECTION
Selection services include:
- Psychological testing using the Leadership Fit Calculator
- Role competency definition and assessment
- Interview guide development
- Candidate debriefing.
4. ALLIANCE LEADERSHIP TEAM/ ALLIANCE BOARD START UP AND DEVELOPMENT
Facilitated sessions can be provided in:
- Setting up the alliance leadership team terms of reference
- Assisting the alliance leadership team to understand its role and individual members expectations
- Alliance leadership team performance evaluation and feedback based on observations in meetings.
5. ALLIANCE MANAGEMENT TEAM START UP AND DEVELOPMENT
- Introduction to alliance contracts and developing the alliance charter
- Team and trust development with the alliance management team
- Team development with the wider team
- Building and sustaining innovation
- Coaching skills and building a coaching culture
- Measuring value for money.
6. ALLIANCE MANAGER COACHING
This involves working on a one-to-one basis with the Alliance manager to develop leadership skills and maximise effectiveness in the role.
7. ALLIANCE CULTURE DEVELOPMENT
This involves working with the wider alliance team, which typically includes all employees to run a series of highly interactive, fun, events to inform, reinforce and motivate individuals to behave in a way that is consistent with the desired culture of the alliance.
8. TEAM HEALTH CHECKS
- Alliance leadership team full-board evaluations, chair and individual member evaluations
- Facilitated feedback from the alliance leadership team to the alliance management team
- Alliance management team self evaluations
- Wider project team evaluations of the management team
- Wider project team cultural evaluations
Clear development plans are written and implemented using these assessments.